Cockroaches are one of the most annoying pests we usually see inside homes (especially in the kitchen), foodservice establishments, and other buildings; they usually prefer warm environments with food and water. And just like any other pests, they usually carry with them disease organisms—they are known to carry the bacteria causing food poisoning and the bacteria causing allergies that trigger asthma attacks, especially in children. Cockroaches spread approximately 33 kinds of bacteria.
These pests are known prolific breeders and 2 mating cockroaches can produce thousands of flying pests in just a year. Here are some other facts you might want to know about cockroaches:
- Experts discovered about 4,000 species of cockroaches around the world; 70 of those species can be found in the U.S.
- Recent studies show that house dust is first on the list when it comes to the most common causes of allergies in people. Cockroaches are listed second on that same list.
- Experts say that cockroaches lived alongside with dinosaurs in the Carboniferous era. That is about 280+ million years ago.
- Cockroaches can survive one month without food, more or less two weeks without water, and about a week without its head. Because they have an open circulatory system, they do not necessarily need their mouth or head in breathing. Cockroaches can breathe through the small holes found in each of their body segments. When the head of a cockroach is removed, it will not die because it can’t breathe; it will only die because of thirst.
- It is not easy to drown cockroaches for they can stay underwater and hold their breath for about 40 minutes.
- Cockroaches are good runners. They can run approximately 3 miles per hour. This only means that they can fulfill the job of spreading germs and bacteria inside your home or office very quickly. Even newborn cockroaches can run as fast as their parents.
- The largest recorded cockroach in the planet can be found in South America. This specific specie is about six inches long with a wingspan of about 12 inches; it is as big as an average-sized bat.
Most home and business owners use insecticidal baits and boric acid to eliminate these pests. But if the situation is severe and these products are not able to fix the problem, it’s time for you to call the professionals. Visit kingdomgroup.ae today and learn more about the methods in effectively eliminating cockroaches in your home or office. Let our staff who are experienced in cockroach control do the work for you.